Ref NoA-3428-E
TitleBarnsley Holgate Grammar School
DescriptionCollection includes admission registers, staff information, photographs, programmes and Alumnus magazine. See also A/2086/T for the records of the Holgate Grammar School Trustees.
Date1887-2009
Image thumbnail

A-3428-E - Holgate Grammar School.jpg

Access_ConditionsAccess to pupil files and some staff registers is restricted. Please ask a member of staff for further information.
Access_StatusOpen
Admin_HistoryRecords of Holgate Grammar School in Barnsley. The origins of the school date back to 1546 when Archbishop Holgate founded a free school at Hemsworth. This was followed in 1660 by the foundation of a school in Barnsley itself by Thomas Keresforth. In 1887, Hemsworth's endowment transferred to Barnsley and Archbishop Holgate's Grammar School was created in buildings in Church Street. A further move followed in 1912 when a new school was built on a site in Shaw Lane. The new school was constructed at a cost of £15,000 and covered a site of over 8 acres. The school later became the Barnsley and District Holgate Grammar School and ultimately Holgate School. In 1974, the school became a comprehensive, although still subject to the voluntary control of a board of trustees. Girls were admitted for the first time in 1978, and in the 1990s it was amalgamated with Honeywell School. It finally closed in 2012 when it merged with The Kingstone School to form Horizon Community College, situated on Dodworth Road.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019