RepositorySt Bartholomew's Hospital Archives & Museum
Ref NoSBHX4/779
TitleLarge metal crest/coat of arms removed from the Dalziel mausoleum, Highgate Cemetery
Date1928
LevelItem
Extent1 item
Admin HistoryHope Ward (a male medical ward) was renamed in 1932 after Lady Dalziel of Wooler. Lady Dalziel was a generous benefactor to St Bartholomew's Hospital over a number of years. In 1932 she gave two gifts of £1,000 and £2,000 and also established a trust fund giving the Hospital a third interest in shares worth £500,000. In 1935 she gave a further gift on the condition that the Governors would maintain the Dalziel mausoleum in Highgate Cemetery, but this gift was rendered void after a court case. . From 1937 the ward was located in the King George V Block. Its full name was Dalziel of Wooler Ward but the shorter form of Dalziel Ward is more commonly used.
DescriptionCrest removed from the Dalziel family mausoleum in Highgate Cemetery, contructed in 1928. See http://www.mmtrust.org.uk/mausolea/view/237/Dalziel_Mausoleum and https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1378866 for further information on the mausoleum.

Lady Dalziel of Wooler was a benefactor to St Bartholomew's Hospital over a number of years; one donation, made in 1935, was given on condition that the Hospital Governors would maintain the Dalziel mausoleum in Highgate Cemetery.

The reason for the removal of the crest and its subsequent donation to St Bartholomew's Hospital is unknown, but a note formerly attached to it states that it was 'Received from Mr Lennon 24 Feb 1975'.
Access StatusOpen
Access_ConditionsThis item is too large to be moved for consultation. Access may be provided by arrangement with the archivist.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2018