|Description||Reports were printed annually 1865-1913, irregularly 1914-1922, and annually again 1922-1939. A 'New Series' began in 1963. With separate index to authors and subjects from Volumes 1-20 (1865-1884); index to volumes 21-40 (1885-1904) included in volume 41 (1905); index to volumes 41-65 (1905-1932) included in Volume 65 (1932). Volumes 66-72 (1932-1939) are not indexed.|
The set held in the Archives is complete. There is a further complete set in the College Library.
Each volume contains papers on a variety of (mainly clinical) subjects by staff of the Hospital. Case histories and clinical descriptions are frequently recorded and as a whole the reports provide an insight into the types of illness and disease encountered in late 19th and early 20th century London. For a summary of some of the more notable papers see D. P. Thomas, 'St Bartholomew's Hospital Reports: a Centenary Observed' in Archives of International Medicine., Vol 117, 1966 (SBHREF/278). Additional contents appear as follows:
- List of Subscribers, follows the Contents, List of Illustrations, and later, In Exchange List (1865-1939)
- Obituaries (1867-1939)
- Proceedings of the Abernethian Society (1871-1939)
- Proceedings of the Paget Club (1925-1939)
- Report of Cancer Department for the previous year (1935-1939)
- List of past students not deceased, retrospective from c.1815 but probably incomplete (1865-1939)
- List of scholarship and prize winners for previous 1-3 years (1865-1939)
- List of physicians and surgeons for the current year, including senior staff of specialist clinical departments (1865-1939); these lists give all staff of registrar status and above from 1875-1919; thereafter staff of assistant physician/assistant surgeon status and above.
- List of lecturers and demonstrators for the current year (1865-1922)
- List of specimens added to the (Pathological) Museum in the previous year (1882-1939)
- Extracts from Hospital statistics, taken from printed statistical tables (See SBHB/MR/9) for the previous year (1870-1919)