|Administrative history||The Institution was founded in 1886 by Ethel Gordon Manson (afterwards Mrs Bedford Fenwick). It supplied the public with St Bartholomew's-trained private nurses on payment of a fee.|
Nurses attached to the Institution lived at no.13 West Smithfield, which was also the Institution's headquarters. In 1907 the Governors of the Hospital sold this property and the Institution moved into the hospital precinct.
The Institution was formally closed at the creation of the National Health Service in 1948, although its records continue until the following year.