|Administrative history||This Committee was established by the North East Metropolitan Hospitals Board on the introduction of the National Health Service in July 1948. The Group consisted of the East End Maternity Hospital, the London Jewish Hospital, Mile End Hospital and St. George's-in-the-East Hospital, together with several clinics. St. George's-in-the-East was closed in September 1956. The Committee was dissolved in 1966 on the formation of the East London Group.|
[In 1836 the parish of St George-in-the-East became a Poor Law parish, administered by 18 elected Guardians, who took over the workhouse between Prusom Street and Princes Street (later renamed Raine Street) which had been built about ten years earlier. In 1844 the workhouse was extended and, in 1871, an infirmary was added. In 1893 a Nurse Training School was established at the Infirmary. During WW1 patients were transferred to the St-George-in-the-East Infirmary from the Bethnal Green Hospital, when the military authorities took over the latter for the use of wounded servicemen. In 1925 the parish of St George-in-the-East joined the Stepney Poor Law Union. In 1930 the LCC took over control of the workhouse building and converted it into the St-George-in-the-East Hospital, with 406 beds. In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS under the Stepney Group Hospital Management Committee, part of the North East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board, but no records of the hospital are known to exist].