|Description||Records of Poplar Hospital, 1858-1964, comprising minutes of the House, General and Executive Committees and annual general meetings, 1858-1862, 1886-1907, 1915-1941; annual reports, 1865-1944; House Governor's report books, 1941-1948; minutes of the Medical Council, 1945-1964; |
agreements for supplying waste sacks, 1933, building new Out-Patients' Department, 1934, sale of site of Poplar Hospital Convalescent Home, 1946-1947; article 'The Fight to Save Poplar Hospital', 1974; plan of South front of the Hospital, 1926; plans of 25-29 Athol Street, Poplar, 1926.
There are no patient records for this hospital.
|Administrative history||This Hospital was founded in 1855, specifically to provide for the many accidental injuries occurring in the Docks, and was officially called the Poplar Hospital for Accidents. (It was not until the Hospital was rebuilt, between 1891 and 1894, that any women's wards were provided). One of the key individuals in the foundation of the hospital was Richard Green, shipowner of Blackwall (and son of George Green, also a shipowner and local philanthropist, founder of the Sailors' Home on East India Dock Road). Green was a member of the Committee of Management, and provided financial assistance to the hospital on a number of occasions. |
Many of those prominent in the foundation, such as Samuel Gurney and Money Wigram, were actively connected with the London Hospital and, in 1854, it was suggested that the proposed Hospital should be attached to the London; this suggestion was again revived in 1868 (See: RLHLH/A/23/34), but to no effect. Sydney Holland, later 2nd Viscount Knutsford, became Chairman of the Hospital in 1891, an office which he held until 1920, when he became President. With the advent of the National Health Service in 1948, the Hospital became part of the Bow Group of Hospitals within the North East Metropolitan Board. In 1963 the Group was amalgamated with another to form the Thames Group. The Hospital closed in 1974, having probably been part of Newham Health District in its final years.
|Arrangement of the records||The collection takes the following arrangement:|
RLHPH/A - Administrative records, 1858-1964
RLHPH/D - Deeds, 1933-1947
RLHPH/S - Surveyors records, 1881, 1926
RLHPH/X - Records from unofficial sources