|Administrative history||The first Students' Hostel was established in 1911 in Nos. 52 and 54, Philpot Street. This Hostel gradually expanded to take in Nos. 56, 58 and 60 in the same street. In 1924 further premises, opposite the Hospital in Whitechapel Road, were taken by the College Board as a second hostel.|
Towards the end of the 1920's, serious consideration was given to the replacement of these hostels by a new, purpose-built hostel. The site occupied by the original hostel in Philpot Street, with the addition of Nos. 62 and 64, was used and work began on the new building in 1933 and was completed in the following year. The erection and management of the hostel was under the control of the London Hospital Students' Hostel Limited, a Company which was incorporated on 23rd October 1933. In 1938 the hostel was extended, by taking further premises in Newark Street. The Company was dissolved in 1954.