|Administrative history||The League of Nurses was founded in 1931 by Miss Beatrice Monk, Matron of the London Hospital 1919-1931. The League was established to form a bond between present and former members of the nursing staff at The London Hospital. |
Membership was initially open to holders of the Hospital's Training Certificate, plus Staff Nurses elected by the League's Executive, but this was later widened to include qualified Nurses, Midwives or Health Visitors who had worked in Tower Hamlets District for one year and former members of Mile End League of Nurses, with which it amalgamated in 1970.
A benevolent fund was begun in 1945 and the League continues to help serve the professional, personal and social needs of members. The name of The London was changed to its present form after H.M. The Queen granted The London Hospital a Royal title in July 1990.