Record

Ref NoRLHFG
TitleRecords of Forest Gate Hospital (Forest Gate Sick Home)
DescriptionRecords of Forest Gate Hospital, later Newham Maternity Hospital, 1913-1976, comprising visitor's books, 1926-1948, containing inspections by members of the South Western Area Guardians Committee; inventory book, 1934; Chaplaincy records, 1913-1976, comprising Roman Catholic Instructor's report book, 1913-1957; Nonconformist minister's report book, 1934-1961; Church of England Minister's report books, 1937-1976; financial records, 1936-1965, comprising ledger, 1937-1940; cash book, 1949-1965; weekly wages, 1936-1937; staff insurance registers, 1943-1949; patient records, 1913-1966, comprising porter's admission and discharge books, 1913-1919, 1926-1936, 1940-1950, and admission and discharge books, 1932-1950, recording dates of admission, patient details and condition; admission and discharge registers, 1949-1966, recording patient details, duration in hospital and remarks; registers of birth, 1913-1927, 1934-1948; Indoor relief lists for inmates, recording details of patients and duration in hospital, 1945-1948; paupers' property book, 1913-1956.
Date1913-1986
Related MaterialFor additional administrative records before 1948 see West Ham Board of Guardians and County Borough Council minutes amd Medical Officer reports, RLHWH/A.
Minutes of West Ham Board of Guardians, 1837 - 1926 are held by Newham Local History Library and Archives, Stratford Reference Library, Water Lane, Stratford
Records of the Poplar Board of Guardians (reference: PO/ BG), held at London Metropolitan Archives.

For administrative records 1974 - 1985 see: RLH Archives ref. RLHCA/A and RLHNH/A.
Person_CodeDS/UK/13
Administrative historyThis Hospital was established in 1854 as an Industrial School by the Guardians of the Poor of the Whitechapel Union. In 1869, management of the Institution was transferred to the Board of Management of the Forest Gate Schools District (comprising Hackney, Poplar and Whitechapel Unions). A disastrous fire in 1890 caused the deaths of 20 of the 84 resident boys. Poplar Union took over management of the Institution in 1897 and it continued as an industrial training school until 1906, when it closed. In 1908 it reopened as a branch workhouse for the Poplar Union, but it closed again in 1911 (see Poplar Board of Guardians records at London Metropolitan Archives, LMA ref: PO/ BG).

The buildings were opened in 1912 by the West Ham Board of Guardians, who subsequently made alterations to the premises. It reopened in 1913 as the Forest Gate Sick Home. Accommodation was provided for the chronic sick, together with 50 mentally handicapped adults and 25 mentally handicapped children, including epileptics. From the time of its reopening in 1913, some maternity patients were admitted and their number grew steadily. Under the Local Government Act, 1929, the Sick Home was transferred in 1930 to the County Borough of West Ham Public Assistance Committee. By 1930, the Hospital had 550 beds for chronic sick and mentally handicapped patients, including a Maternity Unit which was opened with 64 lying-in beds. In 1931 temporary buildings were erected to provide an additional 200 beds for chronic sick patients transferred from the Central Homes, bringing the bed complement up to 723 (see West Ham Medical Officer of Health reports, RLH Archives ref. WH/A for statistical details).

During the Second World War, when patients were evacuated to the South Ockendon Colony, Essex, much of the accommodation for non-maternity patients at the Hospital was destroyed by bombing; including two direct hits which necessitated the demolition of 5 wards. In view of this and the unsuitability of some of the accommodation, the bed compliment of the Hospital was reduced to 201. In 1944 management of the Hospital was transferred to the Public Health Committee of West Ham County Borough. By 1945, accommodation for 128 residents patients had reopened and the building of a new Maternity Unit with 102 beds was commenced in 1947.

The Hospital became part of the National Health Service in 1948, transferring to the control of the West Ham Group (No. 9) Hospitals Management Committee under the North-East Metropolitan Regional Hospital Board and expanding its Maternity Unit which took over a number of existing wards.

In 1974, the Hospital, which by now had 116 beds and was called Newham Maternity Hospital, became part of Newham Health District under the City and East London Area Health Authority (Teaching). With the opening of Phase 2 of Newham General Hospital, which included Maternity beds and a Special Care Baby Unit in 1985, Newham Maternity Hospital was closed by Newham Health Authority.
Access statusRestricted
Access ConditionsSome material is restricted. This is noted at file or item level in the catalogue.
LevelFonds
Extent6 linear metres
LanguageEnglish
Add to My Items

    Showcase items

    A list of our latest and most exciting new items.