Ref NoA-1167-E
TitleBarnsley College of Art and Design
DescriptionA/1167/E/1 Admission registers 1874-1901 A/1167/E/2 Attendence registers 1942-1988 A/1167/E/3 Student record cards 1951-1976 A/1167/E/4 Student record sheets 1980-1991 A/1167/E/5 Photographs and newspaper cuttings 20th Century A/1167/E/6 Prospectuses and branding 20th Century A/1167/E/7 Financial 1934-1977 A/1167/E/8 Premises 1979-1983 A/1167/E/9 Administration 20th Century A/1167/E/10 Associated societies and institutions 20th Century
Date1874-1991
Image thumbnail

99\0743c9-21b6-40ad-b5af-8e0d325283b0.JPG

Admin_HistoryThe Barnsley School of Arts and Crafts (later School of Art) originally opened in September 1874, with lessons being held in the schoolroom of the Band of Faith Chapel, Churchfield. It was due to a bequest of £1000 in the will of Mr William Harvey that brought about the establishment of the school. After four years, the school moved to the Public Hall in Barnsley. It stayed there for many years, being absorbed into the Technical Institute in 1908. In 1934, it became a separate institution again, and no longer administered by the College of Technology. By 1948, the school had outgrown the Public Hall, and was re-housed at Fairfield House, Churchfield, close to its original site. Further annexes of the college were established on Racecommon Road, Park Road and St. George's Road, which provided the main facilities for the full time courses. In 1990, the college merged with the sixth-form college and the College of Technology to create the new Barnsley College.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019